The Friends of Westbury Church is a Registered Charity- number 1050069- that was founded in 1993. The Charity’s objective is to raise funds to help meet the costs needed to preserve the fabric and furnishing of the Parish Church of St Lawrence, Westbury-sub-Mendip and it’s surrounding Churchyard.
St Lawrence’s is a beautiful ancient building with much historic interest. The church is of Saxon origin and the original would probably have been made of wood.
The present stone building dates back to the mid 1200’s and is largely built in the Perpendicular style. The building has a late Norman tower arch and a late 13th century chancel. The present tower was rebuilt in 1877 to celebrate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee.
The age of the church means that continual maintenance is required. From it’s inception until the end of 2016 the FOWC has contributed £51,000 which has been used to help pay for a variety of different projects, all of which meet the charity’s objectives; keeping the church in good working order, not only for everyday worship, but also for those important landmarks in our lives such as baptisms, weddings and funerals.
New members are always welcome and an application form will be sent on request; you do not need to be a churchgoer to join the Friends of Westbury Church. The annual membership is currently £10.00, although donations of any amount are warmly received.
An Annual General Meeting is held in the early part of each year, and we also hold two or three fund-raising events during the year.
Chairman- Pippa Mains
Secretary – Sue Reece
Treasurer- Tony Shepherd
To email The Friends of Westbury Church, please use the contact form below: