The dig at Court House Farm continues to throw up questions.

We have strong evidence showing that the building we’re excavating was built for the Bishop of Bath and Wells sometime between 1100 and 1150, and that it is most likely to be a “first floor hall house”. (Imagine an earlier version of the Abbot’s Fish House at Meare.)

So far we have uncovered the southern gable wall and parts of the east and west side walls, but the foundations extend under later buildings so we don’t know how long the hall house is.

We have copious finds of pottery and bone, but disturbance during demolition and C18 gardening means that we have few sealed contexts. We’re also finding evidence of earlier use of the site, like the flint below.